1 Download PuTTY (0.73) for Windows
- 1.1 Download PuTTY for Windows Operating System (Released 20 July 2019)
1.2 Using SSH in PuTTY (Windows)
- 126.96.36.199 1. Manage Session in PuTTY
- 188.8.131.52 2. What is Logging in PuTTY?
- 184.108.40.206 3. What is Terminal in PuTTY?
- 220.127.116.11 4. Configure Keyboard setting in PuTTY.
- 18.104.22.168 5. What is Bell in PuTTY?
- 22.214.171.124 6. Features of PuTTY
- 126.96.36.199 7. Adjust the size of Window in PuTTY.
- 188.8.131.52 8. Change the Appearance of PuTTY
- 184.108.40.206 9. What is PuTTY Behaviour?
- 220.127.116.11 10. What is Translation in PuTTY?
- 18.104.22.168 11. What is Selection in PuTTY?
- 22.214.171.124 12. How to Adjust Colours in PuTTY?
- 126.96.36.199 13. Configure Connection in PuTTY.
- 188.8.131.52 14. Manage Data in PuTTY.
- 184.108.40.206 15. A proxy setting in PuTTY
- 220.127.116.11 16. What are Telnet, Rlogin, and SSH in PuTTY?
- 2 Download PuTTY on Linux and Installation Guide
- 3 Download PuTTY for Mac and Installation Guide
Download PuTTY (0.73) for Windows
A step by step guide to Download PuTTY on Windows and installing.
PuTTY, a popular terminal emulator, is an open-source, light-weight, and free SSH client. It was developed by Simon Tatham in C language. Its primary function is to connect to a computer remotely while offering the facilities of transferring files, manipulating data, etc.
It offers support to a variety of network protocols like SSH, Telnet, Serial, SCP, SFTP, etc. PuTTY also comes with a command-line tool called “psftp” which can securely transfer files between computers over an SSH connection. It is compatible to use in most of the operating systems (for both 32 bit and 64 bit).
The List of Operating Systems that support PuTTY:
- Windows 95, 98
- Windows ME, NT
- Windows 2000, 2003, 2008
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Mac OSX
Use of PuTTY
In a multi-user operating system like Unix, the interface is generally of command-line type, just like the command prompt or MS-DOS. As such the user needs to type in the command in the command line program to get anything processed by the system.
Generally, these commands can quickly be run over a network from a different computer on a different location (client) and the response is transferred over the network to the client.
The arrangement mentioned above is made possible with the help of network protocols like SSH, Telnet, Rlogin, etc. Interestingly, users can give commands to multiple computers simultaneously.
SSH (Secure Shell) protocol is a cryptographic network protocol that allows you to access an internet server while encrypting any information sent to that server. Some of the other protocols include Telnet, Rlogin only if either you are connected to a Unix system or you have a login account on a web server (a shell account). PuTTY is one such application that enables this kind of transfer.
PuTTY supports the following protocols
- SCP (Secure Copy)
- SSH (Secure Shell)
- Raw socket connection.
Download PuTTY for Windows Operating System (Released 20 July 2019)
Following are the steps required to download and install the latest version of PuTTY for Windows operating system:
Choose the appropriate windows installer version (32-bit or 64-bit ) and click on it.
|MSI (‘Windows Installer for putty’)|
|Unix source archive for putty|
Download Alternative Binary Files for PuTTY (Windows)
|putty.exe (the SSH and Telnet client itself)|
|pscp.exe (an SCP client, i.e. command-line secure file copy)|
|psftp.exe (an SFTP client, i.e. general file transfer sessions much like FTP)|
|puttytel.exe (a Telnet-only client)|
|plink.exe (a command-line interface to the putty back ends)|
|pageant.exe (an SSH authentication agent for putty, PSCP, PSFTP, and Plink)|
|puttygen.exe (a RSA and DSA key generation utility)|
|putty.zip (a .ZIP archive of all the above)|
PuTTY installer for windows will be downloaded shortly. You’ve successfully downloaded PuTTY on Windows.
Installing PuTTY on Windows
Once it is successfully downloaded on Windows than follow the following steps to install the software:
Double click on the downloaded .msi file and being with the setup process.
Click on next and then select the path for the installation.
Select the product feature you want to be installed in your system and click on install.
Click on Finish to complete the setup and close the dialog box.
Voila! You are done with the installation.
Using SSH in PuTTY (Windows)
Following the successful installation, navigate to the location folder where you have installed the application and run the .exe file.
1. Manage Session in PuTTY
It is the preliminary panel where you get to specify specific options to open a session.
- The Host Name (or IP Address) bar is where a user will input the name or IP address of the server they want to connect.
- Connection type of radio buttons allows users to choose from the kind of network they are planning to connect.
- The Port bar is the section that is filled automatically on selecting the type of connection. However, if you choose the Raw type, the bar stays blank and requires the user to enter the port manually.
- Upon selecting Serial as the connection type, the Host Name and Port bars will be replaced by Serial Line and Speed.
The “Load, save or delete a stored session” section is to set some connection setting without having to type all the details again when needed.
- Once you save it, it can just select on the saved session and click on Load. The saved settings will appear on their respective boxes in the configuration panel.
- The panel permits to modify a saved session by first loading a session, editing everything you want to change and then clicking on “save” button.
- Users have the option to delete a session as well.
The Close Window On Exit option helps in deciding whether the PuTTY terminal will close as soon as the session ends or restarts the session on the termination.
2. What is Logging in PuTTY?
This configuration panel saved the log files of your PuTTY sessions which can be used for debugging and analysis purposes. Users can choose the type of data you want to log in this window.
3. What is Terminal in PuTTY?
The section has a variety of options to decide how the texts in the window should appear. Whether you want the text to come in the next line as soon as it reaches the right edge of the window or you want to interpret the cursor position.
4. Configure Keyboard setting in PuTTY.
With the option, users can modify the behavior of ‘backspace,’ ‘home’ and ‘end’ keys, and several other keys to coordinate with the server settings.
5. What is Bell in PuTTY?
It lets PuTTY make an alert sound as and when you want it to function.
6. Features of PuTTY
Users can choose to disable or enable some of the advanced terminal features of PuTTY like disabling cursor keys, etc. using the function.
7. Adjust the size of Window in PuTTY.
The option allows to predefine a fixed size of the PuTTY window and control the scrolling. Many other configurations can be made using this feature.
8. Change the Appearance of PuTTY
Under this panel, the appearance of the cursor, the font in the terminal window or even control the window border can be changed.
9. What is PuTTY Behaviour?
Enables to change the title of the window, control the warning window operation, etc.
10. What is Translation in PuTTY?
The “Remote Character Set” lets you select how to interpret the information received from the server.
11. What is Selection in PuTTY?
Users can change the course of copy-pasting or the actions of mouse-buttons in Unix environment by making appropriate changes in this panel.
12. How to Adjust Colours in PuTTY?
You can control the color of background as well as of the texts using this panel.
13. Configure Connection in PuTTY.
The panel has options that solve any issues when closing of connections while a window is idle. With the option, users can select between the old and new protocols.
14. Manage Data in PuTTY.
The auto-login option dismisses the need to type the username every time. It can also specify the terminal needs using this panel.
15. A proxy setting in PuTTY
Permits configuration of various types of proxies used while making the network connections.
16. What are Telnet, Rlogin, and SSH in PuTTY?
These panels allow configuration of session-related options like changing the mode for negotiation between the server and client, allowing an automated form of login on the server, etc.
The above were details about the panels and the steps to install PuTTY client on windows.
Download PuTTY on Linux and Installation Guide
PuTTY, the open-source and free to download software, provides an easy way to access a Unix shell environment from a windows system. Unlike Unix, Windows don’t have any SSH server or client pre-installed. The network file transfer application supports many protocols including the popular SSH and Telnet clients.
PuTTY for Linux
PuTTY is not only limited to Windows OS, but it’s popular among Linux users too. The Linux version is a graphical terminal program which is not pre-installed in most of the Linux distributions.
In various enterprises, many IT projects have their development environment on a remote Linux system where Windows is used as the local system. Why PuTTY? There is already a Linux terminal in the Linux Operating System. Even then, why an SSH tool like PuTTY is preferred?
- The interface of PuTTY makes it a favorite choice among the users since most of them are accustomed to operating the application on Windows.
- It has the option of connecting to raw sockets and serial ports.
- Saving various sessions and loading them in one go is the main highlighting feature of PuTTY that its users swear by since it is difficult to edit sessions whenever logging-in manually.
Install PuTTY on Linux
On a Linux-based system, PuTTY can easily be installed via terminal. Let us look at the steps of installing the server application on a Ubuntu machine.
1. As a prerequisite, it is necessary to make sure whether the universe repository of Ubuntu is enabled or not.
Type the command:
sudo add-apt-repository universe
and hit enter.
2. Generally, PuTTY is already available in the repository of Ubuntu. Before starting with the installation process, update the packages and repositories of Ubuntu using the command:
sudo apt-get update
Note: The command would make sure that Ubuntu installs the latest version of PuTTY, in case, it might install the older versions of the software. The word “sudo” in the command is used to instruct the terminal to run the update command as “root” since a user might not have privileges to get going with the installation and updation. It will prompt you to enter the username and password if you have the required access.
3. Now, run the command:
sudo apt-get install PuTTY
It will complete the installation by installing the application tools.
4. A prompt will asked if you want to continue the installation. Press ‘y’.
5. PuTTY tools will be unpacked and set up in the further process.
6. To confirm if that the installation is successful, run the command:
sudo dpkg -l PuTTY
It will display information about the application such as version, architecture, and description.
Installation of PuTTY on other Linux distributions
In Debian based Linux system, use apt-get or aptitude to install the server application PuTTY. The command is:
sudo apt-get install PuTTY
PuTTY can easily be installed on Arch-based Linux system. The command for installing is:
sudo pacman -S PuTTY
It is also available for installation on Fedora or Red Hat based Linux system, and the default package manager does that job for it. The command is:
sudo dnf install PuTTY
Working on PuTTY on Linux
Now that you have installed PuTTY, working on it is pretty simple too.
- Just type the command “PuTTY” on the shell prompt. It will open the PuTTY SSH client application.
- After opening it, enter the IP address or the hostname of the computer or any device you want to connect on Hostname field.
- Next, select the required connection type, like SSH, Raw, Telnet, Rlogin, Serial, etc.
- For security reasons, a prompt will ask to confirm the connection. Just click ‘yes’ to continue.
- Now, you will be connected to your remote system. It will further ask for credentials – username and password, to make sure that you are authorized to connect to the system.
- In Linux, the application can also be opened by searching in the Computer Box.
- The Linux version of the program almost looks and feels exactly like the windows version.
SSH Key Management in PuTTY on Linux
Public key authentication is also supported by PuTTY. Public key authentication is used for interactive and automated connections. It offers a higher cryptographic strength which is difficult to achieve with long passwords. For generating a private key for authentication, the PuTTYgen tool is used.
Open PuTTYgen and run the following command to get public key authentication enabled:
puttygen -t rsa -b 2048 -o thekey.ppk
To get the public key use the following command:
puttygen -L thekey.ppk
Hence, that was all about installing and getting started with PuTTY on Linux based systems.
Download PuTTY for Mac and Installation Guide
PuTTY is a free, highly configurable and open-source SSH client which makes it convenient to connect to a remote server and transfer files over the network. Mainly aimed for the use of programmers and network administrator, it helps establish secure connections when transferring data over the network.
Apart from SSH, the application supports many other protocols like SCP, Telnet, Raw Socket Connection, etc. Additionally, it can also connect to a serial port. While it supports many variations on the secure remote terminal, it also facilitates user control over SSH encryption key and protocol versions.
PuTTY for Mac
Let’s talk about the steps to install PuTTY on a MAC operating system. As a prerequisite, users need the following application installed on the system:
- Command-line Tools
Install Putty on a Mac using Command-line Tools
MAC users have this facility to use a Unix toolkit. Users have to use the terminal to access the kit. The tool package gives its users many tools, utilities, and compilers that include GCC, Perl, svn, git, etc. Many of the commands are found on Linux installations by default. Let’s look at the steps to install it.
- To begin with, the installation, go to the Apple Developer website.
- Login and in the download section and search for Command Line Tools.
- Install the .dmg file.
Use X-Code to install Putty for mac
It’s an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) specially designed for MAC OS. It consists of a suite of software development tools for developing software for MAC OS, iOS, WatchOS, and tvOS.
It also supports source codes from programming languages like C, C++, Java, Python, Ruby, etc. It’s available on the app store. So, go to app store, search for “x-code” and click on “get.”
Install Putty for mac using MacPorts
It’s open-source software designed to simplify the installation of other software. One can install some packages by entering a command in the terminal, which will download, compile and install the requested software. It also installs any required dependencies related to the software automatically.
- Download MacPorts from here.
- A pkg file will be downloaded. Just double-click to install it.
Download PuTTY for Mac and Installation
After installing the tools, let’s get to the PuTTY installation part.
1. You need to accept the Licence Agreement of X-Code before using it. So, open the terminal from the utility section. It’s just like command line on Linux.
2. Type the command:
sudo xcodebuild –license
By running this command, the Xcode License will be viewed/accepted on behalf of all accounts on the Mac.
3. Press enter to view the License agreement and type “agree.” A line on the terminal will say “You can view the license agreements in x-code About box.”
4. Update MacPorts by typing:
sudo port –v self-update
to make sure that x-code is fully installed. Now, the Mac system is ready to install PuTTY.
5. Type the following command
sudo port install putty
in the Terminal and run the command. It will download some of the dependencies of PuTTY.
in the terminal to launch the application. Running the command would open PuTTY in an X11 window.
7. To copy PuTTY to the desktop as a shortcut icon, type the following command
cp /opt/local/bin/putty ~/Desktop/putty
and hit enter.
8. A desktop icon will be on the desktop which opens the PuTTY configuration box.
Following the installation users can start connecting to servers by adding the IP address and the port (depending on the type of connection you want to make) of the server.
Users can even save sessions containing the IP address of the servers, which would need to be accessed multiple times. Once connected, users can create, update or manipulate with the data present on the server, given that you have the necessary rights to perform those actions.
PuTTY client is one of the best SSH clients as it offers a variety of features like logging, cursor formatting, keyboard formatting, alert sound, resizing the terminal window, changing the actions of mouse buttons, configuring proxies, configuring session-related options, auto-login facility and much more.
However, alternatives to PuTTY can be found here.